What is the best pickup line Don LaFontayne can use?

8/2/10

Overtime

I got up at seven thirty and got dressed for work. Ate breakfast at 8 and took the pills the doc had prescribed yesterday.

At 8:30 I left for my 9:00 dermatology appt.

Arrived just before nine, and was ushered into an examination room. My doctor, a Chinese woman named Wang Yi Yun, came in shortly and began the routine questioning of my entire medical history. She said that the spots on my hands and arms and elbows and knees and legs and feet are either allergic or a bacterial or viral infection.

When the doctor took a look at my bloodwork, though, she immediatly knew I had a bacterial infection. My white blood cell count was high, as was my neutrocil count, which indicate bacterial over a viral infection.

We discussed various treatments, including an IV drip, a shot, a heavy dosage of medication, etc. Not having time for an IV drip, I opted for the shot and a medium dosage of drugs.

After taking a shot to the butt, I was sent away with a goodybag of drugs. Anti-histamine, steroid pills, antibiotics, more creams, and even a traditional Chinese soaking powder which I'm supposed to soak my arms and legs in for 10 minutes each night?

I took a cab to the nearest subway (though he wanted to take me all the way, asking me if I was "afraid of cabs or something?") station and took Line 10 south to GuoMao. I arrived a little after ten to my office.

Despite the Oohs and Ahhs I received because of the spots and scabs on my arms, it was a very normal day, editing here and there.

I did manage to book flights to Shanghai and back this weekend for the expo. Leaving 8pm on Friday and coming back late, a 22:00-00:05 flight, on Sunday night. I even booked one night at a hostel, though I'm hoping to stay at LeTour, where I stayed two years ago - I emailed them, asking about extra rooms.

I left work at 7:10, having stayed an hour later to catch up on lost time last week.

At 7:15, as I was almost to the cabs and on my way my phone rang. Maureen, a co-worker, asked me to come back and check over something urgent. I was happy to do it but, well... So close!

The plus side, though, is that because I was doing a project for an attorney after hours, I get to comp both the cab ride home and my dinner to the company (up to 80 yuan for dinner! I'm going to eat well tonight!).

At 8:30, just as I finished my work for Maureen, Xiaochen, another co-worker, asked me to stay longer to look over an email he needed review on.

I left the office at 9:30. I picked up the first cab I saw, which fortunately was driving right past the entrance to my building.

Since I have 80 yuan to spend tonight for dinner, I had Cole make reservations at a decent restaurant for once. He made 10:15 reservations at the Blue Frog, a trendy burger joint next to Sanlitun Village.

The taxi made excellent time (having gotten off work 3.5 hours past close of business) and I made it back to the hostel by 9:45. I ran upstairs to drop off my briefcase and treasure trove of new medications and turned right around as Cole and I walked to the Blue Frog down the street.

Despite getting hit up by the annoying kids selling creepy balloons to passersby (me especially, as I was targeted in my work clothes), it was a pleasant enough walk, as the last few days have been bearable and [relatively] cool here in Beijing - 80-90 degrees each day.

The Blue Frog is on the third and fourth floor of one of the Sanlitun Mall buildings, right next to the Apple store. We sat inside to avoid sitting at the only outdoor tables available - next to the door.

Our meals were fantastic, and were made even more awesome considering we got 290 yuan worth of food and only paid 45 each. 80 should be knocked off tomorrow when I get my meal comped by PaulHastings for staying late and we argued that we were shortchanged on beer and, instead of them giving us our money's worth, just cut the price of the pitcher of Heineken down to less than it was worth. Win.

Anyway, I had the Montana Burger and Cole had the Mexican Burger. It was real imported beef, too; none of that cheap or thinly sliced Chinese beef. Overall a good meal.

To top off our wonderfully romantic evening, Cole and I strolled through the mall and got a bike-man to wheel us back to our hostel for 1yuan less than a cab would cost. I put my arm around Cole but he would have none of it. And this is the thanks I get for treating him to a nice meal!?

We got back around 11:30. I finally got around to administering the myriad drugs I was given early this morning.

It took forever, and I got caught up talking with Jacquie Sugel for about an hour on skype, but I did it.

And I went to sleep around 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment