What is the best pickup line Don LaFontayne can use?

7/29/10

Shrugging off a Scam

Woke up at 11:15.

The swelling in my right arm had gone down a bit, and I can now straighten my arm, but I can't work. I have told my bosses, however, that any urgent work can be sent to my personal email and that I can get to those fairly quickly from the hostel. To be honest, I really don't like missing work, as I've come to enjoy the work I'm doing (even the tedious English-fixing gives me interesting insights into the things this firm does).

At noon I went downstairs to meet Maya at the bar, where she said she'd be last night. I didn't expect her to show up, because of how wasted she was when she told me when and where to be. But she had gotten up before me and was waiting.

We hung out and Cole joined us. At 1:30 we went to Yashow, and spent two hours haggling and bartering for presents, gifts, and trinkets. I bought a few things for great prices.

While we were wandering, a man came up to me and asks, "Do you speak English?" I responded "a little," in my most sarcastic voice and he started:

"I am from the countryside, looking for work in Beijing. I have been looking for months now and can't get a job. I have a very important job interview tomorrow and I need to be well fed or I will look desperate; could you lend me a little money for food and a cheap room for a few nights? I will pay you back after I get this job---"

First of all, if he's from the countryside there is no way his English would be that good. Second, if he's been looking for a job for months and can't find one, what makes him think he'll get it this time? Thirdly, how will this guy find me to pay me back, or even how do I know he'll pay me back? These questions, and the fact I'm not mentally ill, led me to believe this was a scam. I turned to Maya:

"Parle vous Francais?"

She responded in Hebrew: "Ma ze?" meaning "what?" Or something like that.. I forget my conversational Hebrew..

I switched to Hebrew, reciting all the old prayers I know. "Baruch atah Adonai, elohaynu melech haolum.." and then I turned back to the Chinese guy and said in attempted broken english: "I... don't... understand..." we got rid of him fairly quickly.

Later, a vendor was trying to sell me a chess set, one identical to one I got for my dad two years ago for 80元, but about half the size. I told him it was a third as big as the big one, so I'd pay 1/3 of 80. I didn't feel like haggling.

He started ranting at me, saying that I'm taller than Cole, does that make me more valuable?

He thought he had me cornered, but my Chinese is getting better each day. I told him: "Actually, Chinese people, every day, ask to take a picture with me, but not with him, because I'm taller, and they know that makes me better-" or something like that. He laughed and agreed with me, then dropped the price. I didn't want it at the new price either, but I used his price to bring down the same chess set at another store to my desired price. Only $4 or so. I then took my new little chess set back to my debate partner and tried to sell the set to him. It didn't work, but we had a good laugh.

We returned to the hostel and at 4, shortly after, we went back to the massage parlor for another foot massage.

I won't repeat what I said yesterday about the massage, but afterwards I felt like I had just paid a prostitute, because I can't believe something that feels as good as that foot massage could be legal.

5:15 Cole went to work and Maya and I got her a last meal in China. We went to Aunt Characteristic Home Dish, my favorite place nearby, and had Kung Pow Chicken, veggies and dumplings. There was far too much food and I had to take a bunch of the dumplings home.

When we got back, Maya had to go straight to the airport. We said our goodbyes, and she left for the airport.

If all goes as planned I should be seeing her again if I ever do Birthright, if she ever comes to the states, or hopefully sooner.. if our plan for the Shanghai Expo goes through..

I took siesta in the room until 8.

Went downstairs and relaxed some more, resting my arm. Every time I spend extended time outdoors, my arm has been swelling in a very Hulk-like manner (though red, not green), due to the poison ivy, so I've been staying indoors and near the AC as much as possible.

Alex came back eventually and brought her dad, who's visiting from business in Shanghai. We talked until Alex had to go get her things since she's spending the next few day at his hotel room; always nice to ditch hostel life here and there.

I met a British guy in my relaxation, named Paul, who's on his gap year between high school and University, where he'll be going at Sheffield soon. His hair and mustache combo, and his glasses, reminded me vaguely of a more modern Ringo Starr/John Lennon combination, which was interesting, to say the least. We chatted for several hours, until they closed the restaurant at 2. He's a smart kid.

I went to sleep at 2:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment